The Mosta Parish And Its First Church
The parish of Mosta was erected on 16 September 1608. At the time there was already a very small church to serve the spiritual needs of the people of Mosta. It was dedicated to the Assumption of Our Lady. As the village population was growing, the residents thought of building a larger church. It was in 1610 that the people of Mosta commissioned Tommaso Dingli (1591-1666) to design the plan for a new church which was to be in the shape of a Latin cross according to the normal pattern of Catholic churches. This church was built and served the people of Mosta for more than two centuries. As the population continued to increase, this church with time became too small for the needs of the parish.